This week has been an awesome week. We are finally starting to pick up new investigators and things are starting to roll. We picked up 3 new investigators last week and have 5 appointments for this week and all 5 of those should turn into new investigators! #축복 (Blessing)
Our first new investigator was RYAN TAE, me and elder Avila played soccer with him and his friends most mornings last transfer! He is about 40ish and has a really strong belief in christ, but he is very firm in his current religion. He works for an international company and so he is going to the Philippines next month and wants to practice English with us, he told me that he has seen our doctrine and its different then his so lets not talk about that! We met him the first time for McDonalds and just talked with him. I asked him about his beliefs and had a good religious conversation. We met again 2 days later and ate 삼겹살 (traditional korean style... Bacon... in a way its just really thin sliced pork that kind of fatty! Its super amazing). He asked about how we proselyte and mentioned that he wants to proselyte but its to hard. He said he has mad respect for people who proselyte because we are helping people come to christ. He is very concerned with the rising generation and their lack of interest in religion. We talked about his father(he passed a way a while ago) who used to abuse him and how that if he continues to try and forgive him he will be more at peace. Then we talked about the relationship with our family and friends in heaven and how it can still exist. He also told us that there were about 2 years in his life which were really hard for him, he had trials after trials hit him. He said that was his turning point that is what helped him have his faith in Christ, he thanks christ everyday in his prayers for those 2 years! THIS GUY IS A STUD!! He inspires me with how strong his faith is and how we can learn a lot from other faiths. Oh haha also once he found out we didn't get paid and are paying for ourselves he said he would provide meals for us and tell all his soccer friends to take us out to eat a lot! So thats pretty awesome! haha
Next is Peter. Peter is from Kenya. He is studying in Korea to become a Presbyterian Pastor. We met him and talked for a bit but he wanted to get down to business, so we skipped all of the fluffy Duffy relationship stuff and I started to explain the Book of Mormon, and he found out we don't believe in the trinity.... So he stopped and said what book do you you believe more, because the Bible teaches that the trinity exists and so the Book of Mormon probably doesn't teach that. I explained that they are the same to us, they are both gods word. I told him that when I read the bible it teaches me that they are all separate. I then explained the story of Stephen and he looked up and saw "the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God" (Acts 7: 55-56) and that if they were the same how did Stephen see both, then also when Christ gets baptized he hears gods voice say "This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased" and if they were the same how did he hear gods voice talking about him his son,. and then to seal the deal I also said if they were the same person then when Christ is in the Garden of Gethsemane he is praying to his father, god, but if they were the same then Christ would be praying to himself which is sacrilegious and ridiculous to believe and when he was on the cross he cried out to his father " Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? My god my god, who hast thou forsaken me? I didn't want to argue with him so I just mentioned it and then said so when I read the Bible it testifies to me of them being different people, and also the Book of Mormon testifies of the same thing and so I have 2 witnesses in my life telling me that they are different. He kind of just shrugged it off but I think he is low key getting ready to wreck me.. so I also have prepared to defend my self if that happens! haha But then I explained the book of Mormon and how it teaches the same message as the bible it just adds on to it. I invited him to compare Mathew 5-7 (The sermon on the Mount) and 3 Nephi 12-15 (Christ visiting the Nephites and teaching them). If you read them side by side its the same message but in the book of Mormon it just clarifies a little more! Hopefully because they are so similar it can help him see why they are not the different but can be used to more fully understand Christs gospel.
Here is the study that is found in Jesus the Christ, it is an awesome study and you will learn a lot! I highly suggest it!
****************************** ****************************** ****************************** **********************
he Jewish and Nephite Versions of the “Sermon on the Mount.”—As indicated in the text, one of the most impressive contrasts between the Sermon on the Mount and the virtual repetition of the discourse by our Lord on the occasion of His visit to the Nephites, is that of prediction concerning the fulfilment of the law of Moses in the first delivery, and unqualified affirmation in the second that the law had been fulfilled. Among the Beatitudes certain differences appear, in each of which the Nephite sermon is more explicit. Thus, instead of, “Blessed are the poor in spirit” (Matthew 5:3), we read, “Blessed are the poor in spirit who come unto me” (3 Nephi 12:3). Instead of, “Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness; for they shall be filled” (Matthew), we read, “And blessed are all they who do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled with the Holy Ghost” (Nephi). Instead of, “for righteousness’ sake,” (Matthew) we have “for my name’s sake,” (Nephi). For the difficult passage, “Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted?” (Matthew), we have the clearer expression, “I give unto you to be the salt of the earth; but if the salt shall lose its savor, wherewith shall the earth be salted?” (Nephi). And, as already noted, in place of “one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled” (Matthew), we have “one jot nor one tittle hath not passed away from the law, but in me it hath all been fulfilled” (Nephi). Variations in succeeding verses are incident to this prospective fulfilment (Matthew), and affirmed accomplishment (Nephi). Instead of the strong analogy concerning the plucking out of an offending eye, or the severing of an evil hand (Matthew), we find: “Behold, I give unto you a commandment, that ye suffer none of these things to enter into your heart; for it is better that ye should deny yourselves of these things, wherein ye will take up your cross, than that ye should be cast into hell” (Nephi). Following the illustrative instances of the gospel requirements superseding those of the law, the Nephite record presents this splendid summation: “Therefore those things which were of old time, which were under the law in me, are all fulfilled. Old things are done away, and all things have become new; therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect.”
In Matthew’s report of the sermon, little distinction is made between the precepts addressed to the multitude in general, and the instructions given particularly to the Twelve. Thus, Matthew 6:25–34 was spoken inferentially to the apostles; for they and not the people were to lay aside all worldly pursuits; in the sermon delivered to the Nephites the distinction is thus made clear: “And now it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words, he looked upon the twelve whom he had chosen, and said unto them, Remember the words which I have spoken. For behold, ye are they whom I have chosen to minister unto this people. Therefore I say unto you, take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?” etc. (See 3 Nephi 13:25–34). Matthew 7 opens with “Judge not that ye be not judged,” without intimation as to its general or special application; 3 Nephi 14 begins “And now it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words, he turned again to the multitude, and did open his mouth unto them again, saying, Verily, verily, I say unto you, judge not, that ye be not judged.” A careful, verse-by-verse comparison between the Sermon on the Mount as recorded by Matthew, and the risen Lord’s discourse to His people on the western continent is earnestly recommended to every student.
****************************** ****************************** ****************************** **********************
Last is 서상현 me and Elder Birrell Met him about 3 weeks ago on the street and he wouldn't take a book of Mormon because he wanted to think about it. We got his number and said we would meet later. Well we havent been able to meet him until last night. But that was interesting because he said he finishes work at 8, so we planned on meeting him for 40 minutes and then getting home right away so we could be home on time. But I called at 8 and he said he still needs to stay another 30 minutes. So He finally got of work and we decided a place to meet at in 5 minutes. Well we sat there for 25 minutes waiting for him. Finally he came and we had to be home in 30 minutes.. but we were about a 40 minute walk from home and a 20 minute bus ride. So we sat down and taught briefly about the Book of Mormon, and testified about it. We invited him to read it and he said he would but because he likes Alcohol and Smoking he doesn't believe in god... So I told him first just read the book and as you start to gain faith and a desire to follow Christ we can then talk about that and we can help him overcome that! That seemed to appease him! We finished at 9:18 and ran out side caught a taxi and made it home at 9:26! So we did it! But that was a stressful meeting because of the time! haha But we will meet next week!
A lot has happened this week but I can't say it all! I will explain more next week! But We are seeing tons of miracles and have a couple potential family investigators! Those are hard to get here so I am pumped. Also I spent some time contacting people for our english class(because usually only 1 person comes.. if we are lucky) And on saturday we had 10 come!! So that was a huge miracle!
This was a fun week and I am loving the work! As you loose your self in devotion to other and worrying about them more than you.. LIFES GREAT!!
Love you all!
Merry CHRISTmas!!
No comments:
Post a Comment