Sunday I was able to go back to Goejeong (my old area) and perform the baptism of Yoo Jay Young--- My Korean Father! It was such a touching moment in my life that I will never forget it! I have met with this man at least once a week for the past 8 months, usually more than once a week, and the appointments usually lasted 2-3 hours. 85% of that time it involved him showing almost no interest in changing his life or really even even listening to our message yet there I was yesterday standing in my all white clothes and baptizing him a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! As I was sitting up on the stand during the talks, I couldn't help but have the biggest smile on my face. I was in a branch that I loved, with people that had loved me and been my friends for 5 months. When I came back to the church I had the biggest and nicest welcome ever! haha. When the 1st councilor saw me (a 70 year old man who is the funniest person ever) he had a look of surprise and ran over and gave me the biggest hug ever! I was sitting next to a man who I had become so close to and he was starting down down the path to true happiness! He used to smoke about 3/4 a pack of cigarettes a day, and it was so unhealthy for him, but before we even taught the Word of Wisdom again on Christmas he just decided to stop and hasn't smoked since! This man is super awesome! I have so much respect for him.
As I walked down into the water with him, he stopped and looked me in the eyes and in English whispered this to me "Because of you I can stand before God and be clean" and gave me a firm hug, Holding back tears, I offered the baptism prayer and had the privilege of baptizing him. It was such a sweet experience. After the baptism he kept saying the "It's been a long journey", talking about not only the 8 months with me but about the missionaries who first met him when he was a kid.
When I think about this whole situation and also my convert up in ToungYoung (he investigated the church for 9 months), I can't help but think that God has his timing in everything, and as missionaries we get caught up in stats and goals and numbers that sometimes we don't recognize that God is in charge! We need to be bold and help push them to the right place but we also need to keep in mind that they have their agency and their timing ---we are just here to help them along the ride! I am going to remember this moment for the rest of my life! Thanks for all of your prayers in behave of Yoo Jay Young! I know it made a difference!
I love you all and will talk to you next week! (Transfer Week)
| Just the two of us |
| He's a yankee doodle dandy |
| I'm too sexy for my badge |
| My Korean Dad. |
No comments:
Post a Comment