Sunday, May 21, 2017

Tongyoung: Foreigner Power

So there is something in missionary work called way-gook-een power! Which translated means Foreigner (what everyone calls us) power! And when you have two Americans in a companionship people treat you so much nicer or so much ruder! haha But if you can very outgoing and confident you can use this power to speedily hasten the work! And me and Elder Johnson are starting to figure it out! This has been one of the busiest weeks of my mission! But I have seen so many miracles! 

Lets start with the miracles! (I have always been a dessert first kind of guy!) So the first miracle me and elder Johnson saw was on our first day! After we got him somewhat settled into the house we left to proselyte. Probably the 5th guy we talked to was carrying a bag with a carton of a dozen eggs. I felt prompted to ask him if I could help, even though it wasn't really that heavy. He rudely said no and so we our arguess-soobmneda (the closest translation is like I understand but its different then that) and said have a good day then started to walk a way. After we started walking he called out to us and said actually you can help. So I grabbed his bag and we started talking to him. We ended up giving him a Book of Mormon and he grabbed all of our pamphlets. We still haven't met with him because he is busy but he has been reading 1st Nephi!  

Then on Tuesday we had our weekly service project. Except the problem was I never paid attention to what bus we had to take with elder Park, so I didnt know. After 1 hour or so a 3$ taxi ride that took us father away from home and 2 wrong buses we finally gave up and called and said we would make it next week! So that was interesting but instead we went to downtown tongyoung and street contacted down there for 3 hours then we went into a dunkin donuts and did some phone contacting. We called this Chinese guy that I had met with our ZL on exchanges. He said he could meet in 30 minutes. We met with him and he is awesome! He has been in Korea since 2010 and leaves in 2020. He came here for work because it pays lots of money. He is doing construction and he really hates china! He loves his family and thats why he is working here by himself! He speaks a little english and a little korean. So between those two and the Chinese material that we have we can teach him. We are also learning some words in Chinese to help teach him. He said he would come watch General Conference this week with us, so we downloaded it in Chinese but he texted us Saturday night and said he needed to work! Super cool guy!

Then on Wednesday we met with Billy, Billy still has no interest but he is slowly gaining some. We taught him out of the Liahonna kids section about baptism. Since he is a member refferal we dont want to drop him super quick. Because E Sung Joon(our recent convert) started out like him very rough and not nice. But our member saw how we changed him so she referred this kid to us. We are trying to become his friends! 

Saturday and Sunday were super stressful! We watched General confrence but the Members kept asking us to do stuff for them so it took like the whole day of saturday just to watch 2 general confrences. But we met with Kim meen jay who is a less active and it was a really good meeting where we showed him the Prince of Peace video. He seemed very touched by it. Then we told him that right now he is very busy with his senior year of high school but if he takes time to come to church he can receive this peace through the prince of peace. Super good lesson!
Then on Sunday E Sung Joon came and about 5 (because the members kept asking us to do things so they could watch general confrence) we were half way through the second half of sunday session when E Sung Joon's mom came and yelled at me and Elder Johnson and then yelled at E sung Joon. She took him to there pastor and he yelled at E Sung Joon and told him a bunch of lies about our church. Then after that E sung Joon called us and came back to church. We sat down and talked with him and read 3 Nephi 11 with him. And described how even though he is in thunderings and earthquakes right now if he focuses on Christ he will receive more peace and happiness! I feel super bad for him and I hate that I cant do anything to help him! I can pray but I want to do more for him! Please pray for him and his mother! He needs it! 

Something that i have realized on my mission is that the atonement covers literally everything, not just sin. When we have hard times, pain, homesickness, or literally anything that affects our happiness if we focus on Christ and give it to him, he will take it! Sunday was one of the most stressful days of my mission. Which is really sad because it was general conference day. But after his mom came I was super stressed because me and my companion are both american and young missionaries and our korean is limited. I felt like i couldn't do anything to help him, plus i felt really bad for him cause he was going home to get yelled at. Anyways it was a lot of emotions and it was hard. Also this is a super busy week and the members keep asking us to do stuff that is there responsibilities but they have us do it. So I was super stressed and for about one hour it was all I could think about it how insufficient I was. Suddenly I had the thought come to me that, yes yes you are very insufficient, but guess what? Everyone is! Elder Stagg you need to focus on your savior who has already experienced this, in him i could find peace and he can make me enough. So I decided instead of focusing on the hard or the bad, focus on Christ and our purpose and i still couldnt do anything to help our convert, I was still super busy, nothing had changed but I just felt peace. And if i just took one step at a time and focused on christ i know its going to all work out!

This week has been the most stressful week of my life! Yesterday I was on the verge of tears, there is just so much I need to do (I am the area senior) and with E sung Joons mom and his whole situation, I feel like i cant do anything to help him!E sung Joon feels like my younger brother. We are so close and have gone through so much together! I love him so much and I love seeing how far he has come in the gospel I just struggle seeing his mom the way Christ would, I need to work on it! :) I am fasting today to try and better understand the spirit so it can guide me through this week! But I have felt an overwhelming sense of peace. I just need to calm down focus on christ and take one foot in front of the other! I am so grateful for our Prince of Peace!

Love you all

No comments:

Post a Comment